Trash Only Services

You do not need to submit this form in addition to the Water Service Applications. 

Residential and Commercial Trash Only Services 

All documents and application fees must be provided before services are established. If your address is located within the city limits you are required to use the contracted collection company Waste Connections. There are 2 options to establish new trash only services.  

Option 1 - In Office

Please Come by the City Hall and bring the following:
  • A valid picture ID or Drivers License (Out of state id's are accepted).
  • Proof of ownership, such as your Closing Disclosure or Warranty Deed OR your signed lease agreement.
  • A application fee payable by cash, check, money order or credit/debit card (Master Card, Discover, or VISA). Out of state checks are accepted.
  • A completed Residential Trash Only Service Application OR a completed Commercial Trash Only Service Application. This is available in office also.

Option 2 - Email, Fax or Mail

The required documents listed under Option 1 are accepted by email, fax or mail. Please note the application fee must be paid in office, by mail or in the night drop box. Fees are not accepted online or over the phone.
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Fax: 972-722-8266
  • Mail & Drop Box: 1900 CD Boren Parkway, Fate TX 75087. The silver drop box located next to the East entrance.

Sanitation and Recycling Carts

For all options, your poly-cart and/or recycling cart will be delivered the week following the week the order is placed. The poly-cart stays with the home or business when and if a customers moves to a new address. Customers who remove the poly-cart when they move will be billed the replacement value of the item(s).

*Please note: recycling is not available for commercial accounts and commercial accounts needing a roll-off or dumpster will need to contact Waste Connections directly at (972) 289-6714 to set up service. 

More information about sanitation and recycling can be found here.

Stopping Services

If you are moving please complete and submit the Disconnect Form by email, fax, mail, drop box or in person at the City Hall.

Customers are responsible to notify the Utility Billing Department of a (future) stop date to avoid discrepancies with the final date.